We done the bee tree cutout on Wednesday, 4-13-11, I left the hive there at the base of the old tree for two days. I went last nite, 4-15-11, in the rain to pick them up. I left them there so they could get used to every thing and hopefully not abscond on me. I setup them up in my back yard this morning. I still hadn't found the queen yet so I decided to really go thru the hive and check things out.
I saw a few hive beetles. One or two of the bees had DWV. I wasn't able to get a picture of them. I checked the frames one by one and on the 9th frame I found her. Can you find her. Clicking on any of the photos will allow a larger picture to be view and it will allow you to zoom by clicking once more.
She is circled in this image. It's the same picture.
I have a few of her close up here.
Click on this next picture for a closer look. You can see the queen and a nasty visitor on one of the bees. I didn't see this until now while editing the pics for this blog post. It's a mite, the nasty little blood suckers. (that's a bad thing, I don't care if you do like the twilight saga, sorry that just poped in my head and had to say it.) If you can't find it or her highness, they are both circled in the next picture down. It's also enlarged a bit for easier viewing. You may be able to find more in these pictures, I didn't.
What a joy it is working with the bees.
I have a few drawing my five year old son drawed for me of us working with bees over the past few days. I just had to show them. I told him I was going to put them on my blog so everyone can see, and he smiled and said on your computer and then ran and gave me a hug.
Here's working on the bee tree.
Going thru the hive when we got them home.
I hope you enjoyed this post. It was fun making the hide and seek photos.
Thanks for reading,